Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lefty Hockey Players


It’s a hockey night in Pittsburgh.  (Well, the Penguins are in Toronto, but still.)  I will admit that I wasn’t that interested in hockey until guys like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin started making the Penguins a relevant team again.  This probably disappoints my die-hard-Pens-fan uncle.  

Anyway, the game got me thinking about left-handed hockey players.  According to HockeyStickExpert.com, when holding a hockey stick, the more coordinated, or dominant, hand should be on top. 

According to Ranker.com, this is who the “Top 5 Left-handed Hockey Players” are:

1. Cam Neely












2. Phil Esposito














3. Roman Turek
















4. Terry Sawchuk
















5. Tom Barrasso
















While I am familiar with most of these names, I am biased since I like Barrasso because he was the goalie for the early 90s Stanley Cup Penguins teams.  That being said, I wouldn’t say he was better than Sawchuk or Esposito.  However, if I put the list together, I would probably have Esposito at the top.

The other thing is, maybe the list would be better if it was split by position, since 3 of the 5 players on this list are goalies.

What are your thoughts? 

1 comment: