Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hey, I Can Do That


I found this fact from Leftys.com: Left-handers are generally more capable of using their right hand for tasks than right-handers are using their left.

In my opinion this bit of trivia is true.  I write with my left-hand, but I can use either hand when I use silverware or scissors or brush my teeth.  But athletically, especially when playing wiffleball or softball, I throw with my right hand and bat right-handed.  I know for a fact that I am not the only lefty whose dominant hand was their right hand in sports.  All the left-handers in my Spanish 5 class in 12th grade, also played sports right-handed.  We had a very deep conversation that day (not in Spanish, ironically).  

However, I know of one case where the opposite is true (righty capable of using the left hand).  Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez throws right-handed, but he bats left-handed.  This comes in handy (no pun intended) at PNC Park because the distance from home plate to the right field wall is shorter than the distance to the left field wall, and left-handed batters tend to hit most of their home runs to right field.  


No comments:

Post a Comment