Monday, April 1, 2013

My Lefty Family Tree


I thought I would take this post to do a personal family history of left-handedness.  I have heard that to be left-handed there must be a lefty on both sides of your family.



My great-grandfather on my dad’s side of the family was left-handed.  But they forced him to write with his right hand in school.  My grandma told me that the teachers used to tie his left hand behind his back just to make sure he used his right.  She also told me that he would stutter when he talked, and that he blamed not being able to use his left hand for his nervousness and speech problems.

My cousin on my mom’s side of the family is also left-handed.  So, I know that the lefty in my mom’s family was somehow related to my grandma because my grandpa adopted my mom when he married my grandma.  Regardless, I don’t know who the lefty on my mom’s side was.  It was probably the same situation as on my dad’s side, where the relative was trained to write with his or her right hand in school.

Do you know how many lefties are in your family?

1 comment:

  1. I only know of one lefty in my family-my aunt (dad's sister). I only know about my immediate family though; there's no telling how many lefties there could be in the extended family (or in my mom's 20 some cousins).

    ReplyDelete